On May 3rd, 2023, the Rutherfordton Town Council voted to pass Ordinance 20-23 to create The Mint District in Downtown Rutherfordton. This social district will allow people to drink beer, wine, or cocktails as they walk through a defined area of Downtown Rutherfordton.
Social districts have been implemented in various towns and cities throughout North Carolina since the General Assembly enacted legislation allowing municipalities and counties to "opt-in" to this opportunity.
To learn more about the social district, please visit the Town's Website.
Social District Rules and Regulations
1. Alcoholic beverages must be purchased from ABC Permitted locations.
2. Alcoholic beverages can be consumed outdoors, on sidewalks, in public areas, or on the property of participating businesses that do not have an ABC Permit.
3. Alcoholic beverages must be consumed in district approved containers (no more than 16 fluid ounces, not made of glass, unique logo must be visible with a statement of "Drink Responsibly - Be 21." in no less than 12 point font, and clear mark of the ABC Permittee that sold the drink).
4. Must be consumed during the days and hours set forth by the Rutherfordton Town Council.
5. In the event of a special event that requires a significant road closure, the Rutherfordton Town Council reserves the right to eliminate the social district during the event.
5. Participating retail businesses must display signage indicating their participation in the social district.
This plan outlines the management and maintenance of The Mint District. The plan will be submitted to the North Carolina ABC Commission and placed on the Town of Rutherfordton's website.
Businesses must apply for a licensing agreement through the Town before selling alcohol to be consumed within The Mint District.
Businesses must also print appropriate signage to be hung in their storefronts that clearly communicates to the public whether beverages are sold at the establishment, are welcomed at the establishment, or no drinks are allowed. Files can be accessed on the Town's website.